[PLUG] Partitioning Schemes

Richard Langis Jr. richard.langis at sun.com
Tue Jul 16 22:37:48 UTC 2002

End of the drive meaning closest to the spindle?

I agree with the amount of swap - I can't see making a 1.5gig swap
partition for my primary desktop.  However, our instructor said that
Oracle's *only* supported configuration calls for at *LEAST* mem*8=swap.
  Our class thought this was quite funny, as the product that most of
the people in there work on is a system capable of having over 500 gigs
of RAM.  To which the instructor quipped, "And that's why you're getting
into the terrabyte drive array market, is it not?"

Of course, my aforementioned desktop system hasn't even touched its swap
partition.  On my server systems, which are 200MHz Pentiums, or my 'new'
web surfing appliance (150MHz Laptop), partitioning things in this
manner would make a big difference in the amount of thrashing.

Your mileage will vary.

-R