[PLUG] Partitioning Schemes

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Jul 16 22:39:26 UTC 2002

 :: > p1: /           50-80 mb
 :: > p2: swap        2x ram size
 :: > p3: /var        200 mb+, depending on server type
 :: > p4: /usr        30-40% of the rest of the disk
 :: > p5: /home       the rest of the disk
 ::
 :: I always put the swap at the end of the drive.  In today's high-capacity
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 :: drive days, the swap is almost always very small in proportion to the
 :: rest of the drive.  Having the swap always be 2x the RAM size is also
 :: something I don't do myself.  Depending on the use of the system and
 :: amount of RAM, a gig of swap is usually quite excessive.  The faster
 :: your swap is, the better, IMHO.
 ::
 :: JMO...
 ::
 :: Rob

I believe that the data is going by the head a lot faster at _the
beginning_ of the drive than at the end.  So, if you want speed, I
would think you'd define your swap partition starting at cylinder 0.
But maybe I've missed something here about your disk geometry.

Dean