[PLUG] Partitioning Schemes

Felix Lee flee at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 16 23:24:24 UTC 2002

I think, position of partitions on a disk is generally
pointless micro-optimization.  My instinct is if there is a
difference, it's not a big enough difference to matter for
average use.  Benchmark it and make sure.  This type of
thing needs to be benchmarked; it's quite hard to predict
the right answer, especially now that disks are very smart
devices.

My partitioning strategy these days is aimed at robustness
and low maintenance and backup-friendliness.  One partition
for /, one for swap, one for /home.

The biggest delay is probably track-to-track seek time,
which is constant for any distance, so it shouldn't matter
where on the disk you put the partitions.  But again, run
benchmarks if you care.
--
[ sometimes otters are weasel-flavored ]