[PLUG] Partitioning Schemes

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 16 23:11:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Christopher E. Brown wrote:

> This is why putting your swap partition first is not such a bad idea,
> and putting your bulk storage last.

  It's been several years since I partitioned a hard drive for a Red Hat
installation, but I recall not having any control over where partitions were
placed nor how they were numbered.

  I recall trying to define a file system of a certain size and with a
specified name (e.g., /dev/hda5), but the Red Hat tool would sometimes --
usually, actually -- rearrange things despite what I entered.

  Is this a Red Hat thing? What does one do to specify where file systems
are placed on the drive?

TIA,