Linus BBQ [Was: RE: [PLUG] Would you consider donating to the OSU ACM? (To hear R MS?)]

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Wed Jul 17 06:43:18 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Miller, Jeremy wrote:
> Why leave them out?  Who would invite people to a BBQ and tell them they
> couldn't bring their family?

Bringing the folks would be nice; but realize it would triple or quadruple
Linus's airfare. This might prove more difficult if we intend to reimburse
him. Other costs -- food, lodging, etc. increase with the number of people.

Practically speaking, assuming Linus comes and we have a barbecue thing,
Linus is going to get mobbed. People won't come to the barbacue to talk
with Joe Schmo, they'll come to talk to Linus, or at least hang out near
him.

What might work is the old "$20 per plate" model -- limit the
number of people to something sane, like 30 or maybe 50, then charge $20
per person, with reservations accepted; first paid, first reserved. Then
the reimbursement is easy:

cost of airfare =  max number of people  *  cost per person

One person who is perhaps less celebrity famous but just as cool in the
free software community is Miguel Iczaga. To me, Miguel would be more
interesting just because he wrote the applications I actually see,
whereas I don't interact with the kernel on a daily basis. If Linus
doesn't jump all over the idea, maybe Miguel can oblige.

Just my 2 bits...

Tyler