[PLUG] Need Help - DISK CRASH ???

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at mdhost.cse.tek.com
Wed Jul 17 23:49:29 UTC 2002

	I will open the box and make sure everything is tight.
	It could be a loose cable since I moved about 6 weeks ago and
	didn't do any post-move maintenance on my computer.  So,
	maybe a cable did come loose.

	If it's not that, then I have a spare drive that's somewhat
	smaller, but probably adequate.  Looks like I likely get to
	reinstall.

	Thanks....

On 17 July 2002 at 15:45, "Steve Bonds" <1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> At a subsequent reboot I got:
>
>     scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi 0, channel
>     0, id 1, lun 0 read(10) 00 00 5d 65 7c 00 00 08 00
>     scsi0: aborting CCB #54 to target 1
>     scsi0: CCB #54 to target 1 aborted

That is a SCSI-level error which should be independent of your disk
contents (MBR or otherwise).  For some reason a SCSI command that Linux
sent out never came back.  This could be due to:

1) Loose cable
2) Unpowered or intermittently powered device
3) Poor termination
4) Dead disk
5) Driver bug
6) Some really obscure problem

I would avoid the rescue disk until the SCSI errors are solved.  Trying to
"rescue" a disk and having the process fail in the middle might just cause
more problems.

Unless it's an obvious problem (i.e. loose cable), I would quickly invest
in a replacement disk and get all the data on this disk mirrored someplace
else.

  -- Steve