[PLUG] RAM Speed: PC1600 vs PC2100

AthlonRob AthlonRobNF at cs.com
Thu Jul 18 22:09:16 UTC 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:49:03 -0400
"chaz at bctonline.com" <chaz at bctonline.com> wrote:

> When should you use PC1600 vs PC2100 RAM?
> I don't want to spend the money for PC2100 if the system can't
> effectively use it.
>
> Mainboard:  Abit KG7
> Processor:  AMD Duron 1.1GHz
>
> Abit's documentation simply says that the board supports either.
> Any insights appreciated.

If the CPU uses a 133/266 bus (I don't think any Durons do, but I could
well be mistaken) then PC2100 is well utliized.  If it runs on a 100/200
bus durons, I think) then the added 66MHz of speed between PC1600 and
PC2100 goes unused.

Do you see somewhere that has a price difference betwene PC1600 and
PC2100?  I wasn't aware PC1600 was even readily available any more
(kinda like PC100 vs PC133 several months ago).

Also, the mainboard isn't the fastest or likely best value around
anymore... if you haven't purchased yet.  The Duron is a good CPU,
though.  :-)

Rob