[PLUG] Fwd: Weird system time issue

Ken Nowack drake_stuff at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 23:45:17 UTC 2002

> No just he clock setting going south.  I've seen
> this a couple of times.

Well, nothing else afaict.

> Ouch.  You might look at the files /etc/X11/gdm/.
> Not sure where to start
> but I'd look at taking stuff out of the .conf file
> and the script that
> actually starts gdm.  A quick peak for me indicates
> Gnomerc is one of the
> starting points on my system.  I'm gnome'r so your
> setup may be
> different.

Well, once i reset the clock to the correct time once
again, starting gdm no longer had this effect. So I
was baffled once again. I let it sit at the gdm login
screen for an hour while i was away, came back and the
clock was off half an hour again. This time slow. I
actually watched it roll back a minute while i was
logging in.

*sigh*

And I was so hopeful the adjtime thing fixed it lol.

> > I downloaded a different kernel version and am
> going
> > to try recompiling. Haven't had time to do it yet.
>
> I take it this isn't your work system.  I go though
> the cold sweats
> every time I have/want to upgrade.  This is the
> system I make my living off
> of.  I've a copy of RHL 7.3 sitting here and have
> used it everywhere else
> but on my main system.  And I really want to
> upgrade.  You might consider
> fiddling with the GUI components before the kernel.

Yeah, I was considering recompiling xfree altogether.
Other than that and the kernel, I have no idea what
else to try.

Ken