[PLUG] Question on the "top" command

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Thu Jul 18 23:58:52 UTC 2002

Tony,

I think you are right about the 2.2.x and 2.4.x systems.  I have seen
systems with more than 1/2 gig of ram that didn't need any special
parameters to use all of the ram.

The way ram is designed they often put large bit modules in parallel.
For example they might put 8 modules that are each 128 mega bit in
parallel.  So I think it would be odd if you can address only half the ram
because of a problem with the ram chips.  My understand from the limited
electrical engineering classes I've taken is that ram is very much all or
nothing.  Do you have another computer you can test the ram in?

Jason