[PLUG] Debian, cdrom, mount

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Jul 19 03:24:13 UTC 2002

Bill Spears wrote:
> On Thursday 18 July 2002 07:36 pm, you wrote:
>
>>Have you recompiled the kernel to support scsi emulation?
>>
>>Sean
>

> No. I didn't do that with RH 7.2 either and it worked there. How do I tell if
> my kernel (the Debian one) supports scsi? I assumed it was some module,
> perhaps ide-scsi.
>

>>On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:21, you hammered at the keyboard:
>>
>>>I've got a weird problem with my cdrom.
>>>I've added hdc=ide-scsi to  lilo.conf.  It appears to almost work in that
>>>/dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/scd0, but
>>>mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /mnt gives error:
>>>mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
>>>       (maybe `insmod driver'?)
>>>lsmod didn't show ide-scsi until I modprobed it.  But that didn't help
>>>anyway. Of course
>>>mount -t auto /dev/hdc /mnt
>>>works.

Used to be ide-scsi needed scsi_mod loaded first.  This on kernel
2.4.13-ac4.  Look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/, if you
have scsi_mod, modprobe it.

The other system (RH kernel 2.4.18-3) doesn't have a cdr burner to check.
But the plain old cd uses a module `cdrom` used by `ide-cd`.  Can't comment
much on that...

How's you syntax in /etc/lilo.conf?  Something like
	append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

Another tool is
$ cdrecord -scanbus
you'll be a set when your drive shows up there.  Of course, by the time you
make the kernel happy, you'll probably be done.

Cheers,
Kyle Accardi