[PLUG] Debian, cdrom, mount

Sean Whitney sean at fork.com
Fri Jul 19 03:58:19 UTC 2002

This is a great time to find out.  Look in /boot/ there should be a file
called, config-2.x.x.  This is the config file you need to look at to find
out if it's supported.

If it's not, apt-get kernel-source-2.x.x.  Then read the debian.README.gz and
make the kernel the debian way, it's pretty slick.

Sean

On Thursday 18 July 2002 08:00, you hammered at the keyboard:
> On Thursday 18 July 2002 07:36 pm, you wrote:
> > Have you recompiled the kernel to support scsi emulation?
> >
> > Sean
>
> No. I didn't do that with RH 7.2 either and it worked there. How do I tell
> if my kernel (the Debian one) supports scsi? I assumed it was some module,
> perhaps ide-scsi.
>
> > On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:21, you hammered at the keyboard:
> > > I've got a weird problem with my cdrom.
> > > I've added hdc=ide-scsi to  lilo.conf.  It appears to almost work in
> > > that /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/scd0, but
> > > mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /mnt gives error:
> > > mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
> > >        (maybe `insmod driver'?)
> > > lsmod didn't show ide-scsi until I modprobed it.  But that didn't help
> > > anyway. Of course
> > > mount -t auto /dev/hdc /mnt
> > > works.
> > >
> > > What's the explanation?

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
		-- Arthur C. Clarke