[PLUG] Windows versus Linux security

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Mon Jul 22 13:04:30 UTC 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Oh, I don't think it's that complicated. Total dollars tell the story quite
> accurately.

I disagree, Carla - the reason being market penetration. If the roles were
reversed (i.e. linux had the predominance now enjoyed by M$), then the total
dollar impact of nimda, et al. would be far less. A mite in the eye of M$
OS's tends to hurt more users than a root exploit in linux. The original
point that the numbers games is BS due to impact vs. early warning is spot
on. I simply don't want to see the linux community err in our favor by
similarly skewed logic. Measuring the injury in dollars per CPU for each OS
(if that's even possible) would, I'd venture to guess, still paint a very
rosy picture for linux. And it would level the metrics field WRT market
share.

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org