[PLUG] mounting HP drives on Linux

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jul 22 23:59:59 UTC 2002

Josh:

I don't think your chances are good.  HP uses the Veritas filesystem
(vxfs) by default.  Although there is a "freevxfs" driver in the kernel
(2.4.9) I don't know how stable it is.

HP includes by default a proprietary logical volume manager (LVM) which to
my knowledge has not been reverse-engineered.  The best you can hope for
is to find out the general header structure so that you can "dd" the data
off the disk and try to get the Veritas filesystem to mount this image
over a loopback device.

You might be able to hack something that searches the raw disk for a valid
vxfs superblock and tries different offsets until the filesystem looks
"sane".  But that's a lot of work.

It's going to be easier to just copy the data from the HP system to the
Linux system.

  -- Steve