[PLUG] Good linux book

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Tue Jul 23 04:52:21 UTC 2002

> I was wondering if any of you knew of a good book(s) to
> help aid me in my understanding of Linux.

Most of the books mentioned so far revolve around system administration;
if you want a theoretical approach try Bell Lab's classic "Operating
Systems" (the dinosaur book) by Avi Silberschatz; it has a hefty chapter
on the internals of Linux, as well as covering general operating system
concepts.

For those interested in Mach, FreeBSD, or Nachos, there are
supplementary chapters on those systems freely available at:

http://www.bell-labs.com/topic/books/os-book/

Btw, much of the Hurd microkernel is derived from Mach.

Tyler