[PLUG] Mac OSX contrasted with Linux and Win2000?

Kelly Guimont verso at mac.com
Tue Jul 23 17:37:58 UTC 2002

On 7/23/02 9:37 AM, "Eric Shore Baur" <ebaur at aracnet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Greg Long wrote:
>
>> Would welcome any input from those experienced in Linux and MacOSX - My
>> experience with all Win32 is considerable (except Me which I considered
> [snip]
>
> Even my wife (a Windows sysadmin) doesn't get mad at it, like she did MacOS 9.

I find that my husband will sometimes ooh and ask me what that is. He didn't
do that in os9. He also really enjoys iTunes and is learning to do basic
stuff on my machine so he can use my speakers instead of his. (I understand
why though...these are my speakers:
http://www.harmanmultimedia.com/shop_detail.html?cart=HK1_1027445448676138&s
ku=SS&id1=1 )

> As a Mac / Linux user, the system over all was a major blessing.
> I had been programming with perl (and now PHP) on top of apache and
> postgres all installed on a Linux backend while using the Mac as a front
> end - since that's where I had all the tools I liked and the OS I prefered
> to interface with directly.  Now I have a single machine that I can do the
> same things on without the division of labor.  I currently have all those
> server-type things installed as well as XFree86 (XDarwin) so I can run
> things like ethereal or rdesktop when I need to.

I totally missed this! That was one of my favorite things. "Oh, your dad
wants to send you the pictures from his digital camera? Let me install my
FTP server. (Open System Preferences, check a box) Ok, here's his login and
password." "You want to set up an intranet so you can view the photos on my
machine? Let me install Apache real quick. (Again, check a box) OK, here's
the address..."

I love that.

As with any *nix, if you do dumb things you might as well hang a "h4x04 M3!"
sign off your IP for script kiddies with free time (I mean, it is summer
vacation), but if you have a lick of sense, you can keep it pretty secure
and still operate beautifully.

I'm going to send this now, all this mac stuff has reminded me it's time for
Enid's daily hug.

Like I didn't go on and on enough the first time,
-Kelly
Bring me my gun of itching desire, hand me my bullets and I will fire...