[PLUG] AOL substitute

Kelly Guimont verso at mac.com
Wed Jul 24 21:23:20 UTC 2002

On 7/24/02 1:45 PM, "Shannon C. Dealy" <dealy at deatech.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>   I've read a rather neat solution to this ... at least, it seems like a
>> solution. The person writing described having a no cost, web-based e-mail
>> account. When he traveled, he'd forward his mail to that account and he'd
>> then be able to access it while gone. Upon return he'd turn off the
>> forwarding.
> [snip]
>
> One potential problem with this is that alot of these no cost email
> accounts have severe mailbox size limitations, so if you don't check
> your email very often, get alot of email, or receive some large
> spams/viruses (a number of these I have received lately run up to 300k),
> everything sent to you will start bouncing.  Probably be a good idea to
> use a store and forward approach rather than just forwarding, so anything
> you miss will still be in your mailbox when you get home.

I have a couple of other suggestions for this:

1. Some ISPs locally have partnerships with others through things like iPass
and other ways so that you can dial a local ISP wherever you end up. Some of
these partnerships are limited, you kind of have to call around.

2. Sign up with a place like Yahoo! to get your mail. They do offer a 'check
other mail' option and (as of now) you don't have to pay extra for it.

3. Sign up with a less evil ISP like Earthlink

Other than that, there might be other ways that you can do it, but those are
my suggestions based on tech support for the local ISP joints and answering
this exact question a lot of times.

-Kelly
Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?