[PLUG] AOL substitute

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Wed Jul 24 21:32:44 UTC 2002

I would guess that the larger dialup ISPs would have POPs all over the
place. When my wife was doing some work for Boeing she was able to get
a discounted account through GTE.net/Verizon.net. She still has the
account and has dragged her laptop to various places around the country
and has always found a local POP number.

My wife uses Win98 but I've had a Linux system dial-in and connect to
Version.net without any problems. I used the modem setup in YaST2 under
SuSE and created multiple providers. With the modem setup, I get this
little "plug" icon in the system panel of the KDE desktop once the
modem and provider stuff was setup. Once the little "plug" thing is
started, the modem automatically dials the specified provider that I
have selected when outgoing packets are detected.

If I right mouse-click in the "plug" icon when the connection is
disconnected, I can change the provider being called. I think wvdial is
used as part of this magic setup. I've gotten lazy over the years and
am happy to set the modem stuff up using YaST2. In my old Slackware
days I wrote shell scripts, chat scripts and used "diald" to get "pppd"
to an automatic PPP connection when outgoing packets were detected.

The downside is even though the number is local, many hotels charge for
local calls so it's not necessarily a free phone call. Maybe that's
different with an 800 number being called from a hotel room. I guess
too that if it's a single 800 number then setting things up is alot
easier since multiple POP numbers are not required. I usually do some
research and setup my wife's laptop before she leaves on a trip so the
new POP numbers have been added to the dialup setup. Windows is pretty
flexible here and multiple locations can be specified and profiles can
be setup to dial 9 to get an outside line through the hotel's PBX
system. I know I can do this in SuSE as well but the setup just isn't
as easy as Windows IMHO.

As long as an ISP supports connection via PPP without some other cruft
software being run it should be possible to get Linux to connect. And
as long as the mail servers support standard protocols like POP3, SMTP,
and/or IMAP Linux shouldn't work. Probably the biggest hassle is
getting the modem and dialup providers setup. I didn't think this was
too bad with SuSE's YaST2 but it wasn't as easy as setting up an
ethernet card IMHO.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer