[PLUG] Minimizing a Linux distribution (RH)

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Wed Jul 24 21:35:39 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 14:35, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> Anyway, it's also true that a base Debian install is MUCH smaller than a
> base Red Hat installation (like, 50% with no real attempt to slim it
> down).  Also, there is more flexibility at install-time in choosing which
> packages get installed and which do not.

Jeme knows this, but I must add since it didn't occurr to him to mention
it... that the above applies to the standard installer, not to the PGI
based one.  The PGI install will land you a full Gnome desktop with a
fully configured X server, where the standard one is text based and
leaves you with a bare bones system most suitable as the base for a
server system.