[PLUG] lilo or Grub?

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Thu Jul 25 02:34:32 UTC 2002

> > I am doing a fresh install on a machine and setting up duel boot. Should I
> > use lilo or grub and why? Thanks.

The answer depends on your machine and what you plan on doing with it; if
you value flexibility or experimenting with different OSes and kernel
images try grub:

"GRUB, unlike LILO, is able to read filesystems and recognize kernel
images too. While LILO requires the physical location of the kernel on
your drive, GRUB does not. Even the latest filesystem ReiserFS is
supported. This means that you don't have to re-install GRUB every time
you make a change to the config file or install a new kernel. If your BIOS
supports LBA then there is also no problem reading beyond 1024 cylinders.
There's some good support for network booting of diskless clients."

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3482/

Also info at:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/kohli.html

--Tyler