[PLUG] USB <-> serial converter?

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Thu Jul 25 04:21:05 UTC 2002

Well since you already have a solution this isn't going to help you now
but maybe in the future...I have a 2.4.18 kernel on my primary
workstation and I'm able to download images from my Kodak digital
camera via USB using "gphoto2". It would seem to me that USB support is
pretty solid in newer versions of the Linux kernel.

I was a bit skeptical since I had never used any USB devices with Linux
before but I was pleasantly surprised when I pressed the button on my
camera's dock and my system beeps, and I see message in the syslog that
shows that the hotplug stuff detected my camera. I even managed to get
the hotplug stuff configured so I don't have to be root to access my
camera through the USB port.

I admit I don't have any experience with a USB card since my mobo has
USB ports on it already.

Tony