[PLUG] power hit... am I screwed?

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Thu Jul 25 16:56:46 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Richard Langis Jr. wrote:
> What it looks like to me is that whatever boot floppy or kernel you are
> using to boot with does NOT have the ata-100 driver (promise?)
> installed.  I've gone through the exact same issues, and what saved my
> bacon was finding a boot floppy image with the drivers I needed.

That's my guess, too. And Promise doesn't have a driver for the Ultra I can
dd at boot time. They only have one for the FastTrack.

> I'm not sure if the images that Jeme pointed you to have those - I
> haven't created a 'current' set of boot floppies in a while - but I'm
> sure the RH7.3 disks have an image you could use at the very least.
>
> I would try that before giving up the ghost and reinstalling with new
> hardware.

I tried it with both the boot.img from the RH7.3 distro and the mkbootdisk I
created on my RH7.3 system (which, of course, didn't work since it's a
different config altogether). Unless somebody has another idea, I'm SOL.
Looks like I'll have to stop by CompUSA on the way home from work (Frye's is
way out of my way). Then I'll have to figure out how to fsck and mount the
original HD when I cable it up *after* installing RH7.3 on the new drive.

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org
Peck of Pickled Pisces               __  o               http://herring.org/