[PLUG] lilo or Grub?

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Thu Jul 25 18:28:28 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 22:54, Richard Langis Jr. wrote:
> I tried setting up Grub.  I think there might be a problem with a
> post-lilo grub install...mine never seemed to work, no matter what I
> tried.  New kernels wouldn't load after reboot, and I once got the
> dreaded LI after POST.

You didn't do it right.

If you still see LI, that means that you never installed Grub's MBR
(master boot record) program.  Lilo's is still there and cannot find the
rest of LILO where it used to find it.

I've had trouble in the past with "grub-install", and have learned to do
it "by hand", like this:

cd /boot
mkdir grub
cd grub
cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/* .
grub

 Ok, now I'm in the grub shell, hopefully.

Let's say that /boot resides on /dev/hda1.  Here's what I type to
install grub:

grub> setup (hd0) (hd0,0)

... output here ...

grub> quit

Now it should reboot to a grub shell, unless I've created a
"/boot/grub/menu.lst".  Also, if your "/boot" is on it's own partition;
that is, "/boot" is a mount point, then you also must do:

cd /boot
ln -s . boot

... to get Grub to find the menu.lst file.

Please read the grub texinfo documentation (info grub) from cover to
cover before attempting this procedure.