[PLUG] lilo or Grub?

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Jul 25 21:03:07 UTC 2002

Somebody, I think Tyler F. Creelan, worte:
> "GRUB, unlike LILO, is able to read filesystems and recognize kernel
> images too. While LILO requires the physical location of the kernel on
> your drive, GRUB does not. Even the latest filesystem ReiserFS is
> supported. This means that you don't have to re-install GRUB every time
> you make a change to the config file or install a new kernel.

This may be a bit mis-leading to the beginner.
"Installation" here means typing "lilo" at the (root) command prompt,
which re-"installs" the loader into the boot track at the head of
the disk, or partition.

It's not like you're installing the gcc compiler from source.

So I would not base my decision on GRUB vs LILO on this alone (which
you were not).

Dean