[PLUG] OT: Intrusion could soon be legal

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Thu Jul 25 22:24:27 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Dean S. Messing wrote:
>
> > Let us say just say that it is a _long_ time until said perp breaks
> > into any computers again.  No physical violence to the person (the
> > first time).  But his computer and it's surrounding domain become a
> > vivid testimony against goofing around with _this_ company.
>
> I don't know which is sadder: people who resort to vigilante tactics
> or the unresponsive legal system that leads them to do it.

Could you imagine if computer scientists or software engineers where in
charge of law making and enforcement.

"No I'm sorry, this democratic system is intractable, lets give the
president root privledges, he can make these decisions in constant time."

Or

"We're sorry, but it seems there was a bug in the 2000 election.  Applying
hot fix now..."

> Feeling grumpy today,

I'm sorry.  Some days you fsck, and somedays you get fsck'd :)

Jason