[PLUG] Open relays for spammers

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jul 26 06:26:57 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Jim Adams wrote:
> I had to ask around before I found out that in order to turn off open
> relay you have to restrict relay capabilities to your location range
> in a config file.  This seems like a rather roundabout way of doing it
> IMHO, and it's not well documented that this is the correct way to
> turn relay off.

How ELSE would you do it?

What we call an "open relay" is just a system that relays mail regardless
of source.  Unless you specify somewhere the systems to which you'd like
to restrict relay capabilities, you're on open relay.  If the system
DOESN'T allow relay from some sources, then it is just a local mail
agent... what good is that on the internet?

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net