[PLUG] Ports and Processes

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Jul 26 18:36:01 UTC 2002

I've been trying to determine why some packets are going back and forth
across my internet links, and find I need some information that I can't
seem to find an easy way to acquire.  Before I resort to writing software,
does anyone know of a way to track which process (or even user id) last
used a given port (primarily udp and tcp).  The problem is that I'll see a
packet go out from a dynamically allocated port, but once the transaction
completes (in well under a second), the port is freed, so I have no way of
telling what process/user was generating the packets.  Packet sniffers and
iplogger are helpful, but don't appear to provide a means of connecting
the packets back to the source process/program on the local system, or did
I miss something?

Anyone got any ideas?