[PLUG] Printer Job Splitting

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Jul 26 18:49:32 UTC 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Jeremy Bowen wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> I have searched all around nut I have not bee able to find job splitting
> software for printing.
>
> I want to have a linux box that is a print server and run samba to connect
> my windoze boxes and be able to break up a large mail merge (or other lare
> jod) over more than one printer.
>
> Do a program like this exist?

You might be looking in the wrong place, it's been awhile since I've seen
this, but some print servers allow you to define a single printer frontend
to a group of printers, so if you send multiple jobs to the "printer" it
will split them between the actual printers.  Of course if your mail
merge (or other program) won't allow you to do the merge as multiple
individual print jobs, this won't help, but all of the programs I can
recall using do allow this (I did it with OpenOffice two weeks ago).  I
always run merges as individual print jobs in case a problem develops,
that way only the current piece is messed up, rather than the rest of the
merge.