[PLUG] Slightly OT: How to mount as a user in HP-UX

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jul 27 00:49:00 UTC 2002

On 26 Jul 2002, Doug Davis mindglow at dsl-only.net wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 15:37, Jason Dagit wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know the typical command to mount a cdrom drive in HP-UX?  I
> > know on the sun boxes we have here at school I just use the removable
> > media manager, but I can't find anything like that in hp-ux, and mount
> > /cdrom doesn't work, mount says I need to be root to run mount.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason
> You can't except for 3 ways:
>
> 1) give them root
> 2) use a restricted SAM ( sam -r)
> 3) use sudo
>
> I work with hpux quite a bit so let me know if you need any more help.
> HP-UX considers mounting to be mounting a filesystem and even changing
> the permissions on mount wont help you.

I should interject that using HP's "pfs_mount" can result in the entire
system crashing or hanging.  More frequently, it just grabs your CD so
that you can't eject it except using the "manual override", which of
course means that you can't mount a new one and any process that touches
the directory where it was mounted will hang.

My preferred method of mounting CDs on an HP box is via NFS from a linux
or Sun box.  ;-)  Maybe someday HP will abandon their asinine system for
mounting Rock Ridge CDs, but I'm not holding my breath.

  -- Steve