[PLUG] [OT] How to use cybercafes?

dh at mda.huntbros.net dh at mda.huntbros.net
Sat Jul 27 01:46:04 UTC 2002

My apologies for being off-topic, but I'm a bit frightened by the prospect
of being stuck using cybercafes for somewhat sensitive transactions.

I'll be in Ireland for three months and have to depend on cybercafes for
internet access. I have two shell accounts on Linux boxen here that I can
can only access using an ssh login, and the cybercafes I have to use run a
M$ OS. How does one launch an ssh login session from one of these things?
Will ssh2 likely be already on these boxes? Any special security
considerations, since I don't have control over these M$ boxes or their
networks?

Secondly, I have to access my bank's website too. Would accessing these
pages from a cybercafe's browser pose special security considerations?
Would one browser be any safer than another? Would it be safer to ssh into
my shell account here, then launch a local browser? I think I can do the
banking with Lynx, but not sure yet.

--
David Hunt <dh at huntbros.net>