[PLUG] PDA Linux or otherwise

Doug Davis mindglow at dsl-only.net
Sat Jul 27 01:58:25 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 18:10, ptkwt at aracnet.com wrote:

> So you're saying that they're $299 now instead of $399? (for the non-developer
> version that has 64MB? - they had a developer version that had only 32MB)
>
> Phil

The original list price for the 64 MB version was $499. I got mine for
in the $470 range the week after it came out. They now list for $399,
but you can find them as low as $320 ( esp at BestBuy since they are not
going to carry them any longer. They signed a limited unit contract)

To be fair, the unit has gotten some bad reviews esp for syncing issues
and lack of third party software. Most of those reviewers ignored the
quantity of open Source software available. I really enjoy that it has
OpenSSH and I can admin my systems as well as a lot of other neat
features only a geek could love ( tcpdump, a port scanner, nmap, VNC,
samba, nfs. perl, python ...the list goes on.)

I never regretted for a second getting mine even though I paid close to
full price. I don't think it will ever be mainstream but for a true
techie its hard to beat.

Doug