[PLUG] [OT] How to use cybercafes?

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jul 27 02:11:01 UTC 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, dh at mda.huntbros.net wrote:

> I'll be in Ireland for three months and have to depend on cybercafes
> for internet access. I have two shell accounts on Linux boxen here
> that I can can only access using an ssh login, and the cybercafes I
> have to use run a M$ OS. How does one launch an ssh login session from
> one of these things? Will ssh2 likely be already on these boxes? Any
> special security considerations, since I don't have control over these
> M$ boxes or their networks?

My biggest fear on public computers is that some bozo has installed a
keystroke logger.  These range from simple software programs to devilish
hardware jobbies that look like the old PS/2-to-DIN keyboard converters.

The only good workaround is to use one-time passwords for
everything.  Unfortunately, you can't do that for your bank passwords
since you don't control the login method there.

Basically, if you can't bring your own client (notebook, Palm w/TopGun
SSH, etc.) in and hook it to their network, don't enter any sensitive
data.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.  ;-)

  -- Steve