[PLUG] [OT] How to use cybercafes?

dh at mda.huntbros.net dh at mda.huntbros.net
Sat Jul 27 06:48:19 UTC 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>Ahh, a topic that is near and dear to my heart.

Fod sel agut!

>The easiest is if they just give you access to a desktop.  If that
>happens, fire up IE, enter "www.google.com" and then "putty ssh
>download" and then hit the "I feel lucky" button.  Download Putty (the
>first link in the middle of the page) and save it to the desktop.
>Double click, and you're on.  Be sure to select ssh not telnet.

Wow! You sure made that easy! Thanks!
I followed your instructions to www.chiark.greenend.org.uk, and found
putty.exe. I downloaded that and a few others. They all fit on a single
floppy. Can I just take a floppy (FAT32) with me in my pack, and stuff
that in the M$ box?

It looks like putty is exactly what I need for the ssh connection.

I think for the banking chores, I might use a trusted-friend's
windows-box. It's a scary world out there, and I'm not even sure what
konqerer is doing when I access the bank's site from home.

--
David Hunt <dh at huntbros.net>