[PLUG] Cursor Only?

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Mon Jul 29 18:29:24 UTC 2002

I'm running RH 7.1 on my Thinkpad 390X. I ran Webmin from the browser on
another machine and connected just fine. I logged out of Webmin. Then I
went to have a look at something by using the laptop's own keyboard and
screen, and I found that all I have is a cursor. (The power management
creen saver had kicked in so the screen was totally blank.) The cursor
moves around when I use the pointing post (that red button thingy in the
middle of the keyboard), but there is no other response to it. I tried
to telnet into it, but got an error message saying that the connection
could not be made. I decided to log back in with Webmin and found that I
didn't have to give a username and password. I looked around the system
with Webmin just to make sure that I was actually seeing something live.

Is there a keyboard combination that I can use to put me in some mode
that will let me recover from this? This happened to me once before and
I simply shut down and restarted. I realize that's the wimpy way out,
and I'm trying to learn "the better way."

Thanks in advance.

(I tried sending this over the weekend, but of course it didn't get
through. The odd thing is that it didn't bounce as undeliverable.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"