[PLUG] Typiing in a replacement bullet character to open office

Zot O'Connor zot at zotconsulting.com
Mon Jul 29 21:28:45 UTC 2002

So I have found a bug in open office.

The bullet character as used by windows (Symbol Font, 0xF0B7  ).  When I
print with these bullets, its fubars ghostscript.  If I replace the
image used for the font (say OpenSymbol, 0xE01E, the standard Open
Office bullet).

So I would love to fix the bullet crashing ghostscript issues (which was
determined by printing to file, then using gv to review it), but in the
mean time I have a 200 page document to print.

The document uses bullets through out, in tables, and other nonsense
things.

So I would like to replace all the instances of 0xF0B7 with a better
one. I have been trying to replace it in Start Office, but 200 pages is
al ot.  I cannot seem to replace the image with find and replace.

I tried hand editing the files in the zip of the sxw, but that did not
work very well.

Finally in the name of speed I renamed the Symbol font in OpenOffice
(/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0/share/psprint/fontmetric/Symbol.afm) and
it now works, but I am not sure if I am messing things up elsewhere.

I could for a small document goto Stylist->list styles and modify the
list styles, but the 200 page document has something like 200 "list
styles."  (one for each bulleted set of items I think).

Any ideas?

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com