[PLUG] Resolved: Cursor Only?

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Mon Jul 29 23:04:24 UTC 2002

AthlonRob wrote:

> killall gdm
>
> To kill the gnome login manager thing.  As root, just run gdm again and
> it should bring back your graphical login.

When I typed killall X I got a response that insisted that X was not
running. When I typed killall gdm, gdm started! It's not exactly what
you said would happen, but it served the purpose. Thanks.

> Don't forget to log out of your console after you have things back up
> and running.  :-)

One of the things most of you probably do in your sleep is to switch
between virtual consoles. I was sort of aware of the ability to do this,
but never had a need (before now). As a result, I didn't know that X was
running in console 7, so I didn't know that to switch back to X after
switching to one of the other virtual consoles I would simply type
<ctrl><alt><F7>

Jason Dagit wrote:

> BTW, if you use the <alt>arrowkey trick eventually it will put you back in
> X if it is running.  So I usually do like <alt>F1 then use the arrow key
> trick.
>
> Well random tips...I hope you find them useful.

Cool. I just tried that. <ctrl><alt><F1> followed by six <alt> right
arrows put me back in X.

This is one of those learning experiences that wasn't covered in the
books I read. Or if it was, it was mentioned once but never used, so it
didn't sink in. Nothing like practical applications to drive home a
concept.

Thanks again.

--
Regards,