equivalent Debian command (Re: [PLUG] Samba connection problem - RH7.3 box to WinME)

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at hegbloom.net
Tue Jul 30 16:12:33 UTC 2002

Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us> writes:

> Stephen Liu wrote:
> --snip--
> > Kindly advise how to hand-set the IP addresses on RH7.3 box.
>
> /usr/sbin/netconfig as root is RedHat's touchy-feely curses-based
> network config tool.
>

> You'll need to do this again (to go back to DCHP) once you plug back
> into your cable modem.

For the Debian newbies out there... (complaints from others to
/dev/null please) the equivalent is to either edit
"/etc/network/interfaces" -- RTFM "interfaces" and "ifup"; it's a very
simple and easy to learn syntax -- or to install "etherconf" and then
run "dpkg-reconfigure -plow etherconf" (the standard dpkg-reconfigure
recipe we all know and love) when you need to make changes.  If you
have the "configlets" installed, there's one for etherconf that will
show up in the Gnome control panel under the "Debian" heading.

--
As any limb well and duly exercised, grows stronger,
the nerves of the body are corroborated thereby. --I. Watts.  .''`.