[PLUG] Microsoft's smell of desperation | LinuxWorld (fwd)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 31 17:25:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

>     Nevertheless, civil disobedience against a company's greed is not
>     effective when it is expressed through your own greed. The people
>     of the Boston tea party dumped the tea so that nobody could use
>     it. That made a much more powerful statement than if they had
>     stolen the tea.
>
> That historical analogy is so appropriate I can't imagine why I
> haven't seen it earlier. What a great job digging out the history --
> and the politico-moral point for today.

  D'accord. So, Paul, how do we dump the content over which the
entertainment industry is so concerned? Or, what's the equivalent? That's
what I wondered when I read the story.

  I don't have speakers or a dvd drive on any machines here. I use a stereo
for music and the TV/VCR combo for movies. (I wouldn't haul cattle in my
Pathfinder, either <g>). Yet, I'm bothered that I might be negatively
impacted as "punishment" for something I haven't/don't/won't be doing.