[PLUG] Debian 3.0, .deb application availability.

Eli Stair eli.stair.lists at attbi.com
Wed Jul 31 19:20:56 UTC 2002

I've been meaning to ask someone who uses it, perhaps you do...

How is 3.0?  My last experience was with 2.2r2, which got hosed
by an attempted Progeny upgrade.  It was still beta, I knew what
I was getting into so I'm not complaining.

My main complaint with Debian, and a sticking point with any
package-based distro, is that it _seemed_ that popular (read:
new) .debs were always months behind release of the software.
There wasn't enough community support behind packaging apps
in .deb format, thus no resource equivalent to rpmfind.net.

Has that aspect changed much?  Other than that issue I found
it to be superb.

/eli

DISCLAIMER:
I'm not trolling for anything here.  I'm only mentioning one
aspect of an otherwise great distribution.  Merely a comparison
to services/availability from other vendors.

\