[PLUG] NEW TOPIC: Hibernate in Linux (Specifically Redhat 7.3)

Greg Long linux at maneuveringspeed.com
Sat Jun 1 10:42:18 UTC 2002

No, actually I'm talking about a full suspend-to-disk "Hibernate":

As much as I can join the ranks and diss Windows XP (and there are MANY,
many, reasons to do so, I'm sure we can all agree there)....one very
nice feature is a full hibernate to disk followed by a power off - the
batteries are not drained at all.  When the OS is powered back up, it
resumes where it left off.  This works very well - I only find I have
issues with media playback.  Lengthy DivX threads, etc. will keep going.

This is also nice when I want to leave everything as-is and then reboot
to RedHat 7.3 (dual boot).  Because GRUB is pulled up first, I can
select RH7.3, play around, then shutdown and reboot come back to GRUB,
where I then Select Windows XP and whammo - Windows resumes.

The laptop is a IBM A30 - P3 1ghz, though my fiance's p2-300 does it
well too.

Clearly, anyone who has ever lived as a dual-booting road warrior can
see the advantage of this ;)  I can shut my box down, pack it, travel to
my next appointment (class, in my case) and whammo - I'm back where I
left off.

It's also plain to see that if someone doesn't need to close all apps in
order to do this in Linux and boot to Win, it would be a lot easier to
use it more as a client.  As a result, I never really get around to
using Linux as a client as much as I'd like to.

I didn't mean to turn this into a pitch for developers to start a
project implement this, but I think the advantages for those who who see
Linux as a "movement" or a "cause" are obvious - breaking down barriers
to usage.  At home, I mostly use VNCserver to access my server box.
This works well, though it's a server, and not generally used as a
workstation - plus I don't like the idea of working as root too much for
obvious reasons (one of the inherrent limitations of vncserver).

Greg Long
http://www.maneuveringspeed.com/