[PLUG] cheap UPSes

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Sun Jun 2 01:27:14 UTC 2002

It's nice that APC includes the signaling cable with the 500VA units
now. I purchased one of these units a few years back and I had to make
my own cable since APC wanted something like $40.00 for a signaling
cable. I built two signaling cables with $0.99 worth of parts from a
second-hand electronic parts store using the Linux UPS HOWTO. I also
rolled my own monitoring software using the example "backupsd"
monitoring daemon from the HOWTO as well.

I did purchase a SmartUPS 700 last year for a system and it included
both the cable and a PowerChute software CD that had a version for
Linux among other supported operating systems.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at attbi.com