[PLUG] perl for dummies

David Fleck dcf at aracnet.com
Sun Jun 2 15:36:13 UTC 2002

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Dave Poirier wrote:
> Just kinda feeling overwhelmed with Perl at this point and wondering if
> anyone would care to share, sites or books they found helpful.  Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much in advance.Dave

In my own experience, the following have been the most helpful:
the llama book
the camel book
the perl manpages
The Perl Cookbook (forget what animal is on that one)
looking at the structure of modules on CPAN
www.perlmonks.org
comp.lang.perl.* newsgroups

these are arranged in more-or-less chronological order; that is, I started
with the llama book, then moved on to the camel book, etc.  I think I'm
pretty familiar with the language now, and 90% of the time I'll use the
man pages for reference.

What is it you're trying to do?  Pick up a new language, maintain someone
else's existing code, fix a specific problem?  What other languages are
you familiar with?

--
 David Fleck
 dcf at aracnet.com