[PLUG] perl for dummies

mikeraz at patch.com mikeraz at patch.com
Mon Jun 3 01:57:30 UTC 2002

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 05:51:08PM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz typed:

> Brian> for CGI stuff, a good learning resource may be Matt's Script archive
> Brian> worldwidemart.com/scripts/
>
> No, no, no, NO, no, and still.... no.
>
> http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/
>
> Even Matt himself said "don't use my stuff, use the NMS stuff instead".
>
> So again, I repeat.  Remove that bookmark.  Erase it from your brain.
> Memorize the NMS instead.

But, Yes, yes, yes, YES and YES.  The world needs examples of what not to do.
contrasting NMS work with MSA work is one path to seeing it.

Excercise:  read one of Matt's scripts, perhaps formmail.  Figure out what you
would do differently.  Then review the NMS version for more ideas and insight.

Considering that Matt says "don't use my stuff" and "here are links to the NMS
replacements for my stuff" you get plenty of advice about what path to follow.

--
    Michael Rasmussen  aka  mikeraz
   Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity

   "They that give up essential liberty to obtain
				-- Benjamin Franklin

   and the fortune cookie says:
Facts are the enemy of truth.
		-- Don Quixote