[PLUG] ftp problem.

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Jun 3 21:08:06 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 12:22, Michael H.Collins wrote:
> I have a server that must get to an ftp site.  It cannot.  I can get
> there from most anywhere else. Perhaps it is an iptables problem, but I
> hnow of two seperate networks that cannot get there.  I know nothing
> about the second sites firewall setup.  Access from my dialup account
> with virtually the same firewall and I get in like this:
>
> t at riecilla mike]# ftp polar.wwb.noaa.gov
> Connected to polar.wwb.noaa.gov.
> 220-
> 220-
> 220-**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING*
> 220-
> 220-YOU HAVE ACCESSED A UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT COMPUTER.
> 220-USE OF THIS COMPUTER WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION OR FOR
> 220-PURPOSES FOR WHICH AUTHORIZATION HAS NOT BEEN EXTENDED
> 220-IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW AND CAN BE PUNISHED WITH
> 220-FINES OR IMPRISONMENT (PUBLIC LAW 99-474).  REPORT
> 220-SUSPECTED VIOLATIONS TO THE SYSTEM SECURITY OFFICER.
> 220-
> 220-**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING**WARNING*
> 220-
> 220 polar.ncep.noaa.gov FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1(1) Fri Nov 30
> 13:36:43 EST 2001) ready. Name (polar.wwb.noaa.gov:mike): anonymous
> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> Password:
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp>
>

> When I try from the server I get this:
>
> [mike at neptune mike]$ ftp polar.wwb.noaa.gov
> Connected to polar.wwb.noaa.gov (140.90.192.168).
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> ftp>
>
> What might I be doing wrong?  Or what could cause this situation.
I'm not sure about the cause, but have you tried accessing the site with
a different client?  I had a problem with access from outside, the
customer was using CuteFTP, and my ftp server would refuse the
connection, but I had the costumer use the url

ftp://username@ftp.infotects.com

in a browser (not mentioning names), and it connected without errors
(this was not an anonymous login though).

I know this is probably describing more of a winblowz issue, but it may
be worth trying a different client, just for the information that might
give you.

Good Luck

Derek Loree