[PLUG] ftp problem.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Jun 3 21:24:46 UTC 2002

I agree with John's diagnosis. This definitely looks like the remote is
refusing you, not a problem on your end.

If another ftp client doesn't resolve the issue (ncftp is a good one), then
you might check to make sure both machines are resolving the host name to
the proper IP. I notice in the first (working) example, no IP is given in
the welcome. In the second, it gives it's IP.

Lastly, a note to the system administrator might be in order, if no other
resolution presents itself.

At 03:22 PM 6/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>[mike at neptune mike]$ ftp polar.wwb.noaa.gov
>Connected to polar.wwb.noaa.gov (140.90.192.168).
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>ftp>

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.