[PLUG] Serial console with grub

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Tue Jun 4 00:32:04 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 22:07, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Friday 31 May 2002 06:00 pm, you wrote:
> > I finally got the time to experiment with having a grub-loaded kernel
> > use a serial port as its main console (very handy for remote
> > administration!). What follows is part of the documentation I prepared
> > on the subject for work...
> >
> > --Paul Heinlein <heinlein at cse.ogi.edu>
>
> <cool stuff snipped>
>
> Okay, I was raised on windows and missed out on all this cool oldtimey stuff.
> What do you do with this? How does the remote part work, is it connected by a
> serial cable to another PC? Is this meant to replace a NIC?

I like to use a serial port for a console on my lrp boxes.  It makes
them more like appliances.  Then I use a null modem to connect to an
interanl server, and minicom to emulate the terminal connection to the
router/firewall.  I've even had the lrp box reload the network from an
outside connection, and the connection was not dropped!  (Try that with
a Cisco!!)

Derek