[PLUG] Strange Problem with CD Burner

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Wed Jun 5 04:45:51 UTC 2002

---snip---

>  I ran setup and found a service called rawdevice
> is now running.  I notice that if grip is running, it knows when an
> audio CD has been placed in the drive and after a few seconds it has
> the name of the CD and all the song titles.  Did grip add this service?
>  And is this interfering with writing CD's?

If you want to know if this is grip's doing and you are using rpms, you
could do something like
  rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/rc.d/init.d/rawdevices

It appears to belong to the initscripts rpm, rather than grip. Grip
doesn't look like it enables any services or does anything else nefarious
just from installing the rpm. Do this to check for yourself:
  rpm -ql grip

>From /etc/rc.d/init.d/rawdevices:

# rawdevices       This shell script assignes rawdevices to block devices
#
# chkconfig: 345 56 44
#              (such as hard drive partitions). This is for the use \
#              of applications such as Oracle. You can set up the \
#              raw device to block device mapping by editing \
#              the file /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District