[PLUG] logging input via /dev/ttyS0

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Thu Jun 6 01:52:21 UTC 2002

I've been researching this for a little bit now and still don't have an
answer yet.  I have an older phone switch that has a DB-25 connect
originally designed for a serial printer.  From my reading of the manual
for the phone switch (KSU), this service is called "SMDR" and all it did
was record the transactions the KSU went thru in the course of answering
phone calls.

Rather than using a serial printer, I'd like to capture the output via a
serial connection to a linux host.  I know I can use a terminal program
such as minicom or kermit.  But I'd like to know if the input to
/dev/ttyS0 can be logged directly thru the use of a pipe to a service such
as syslogd?

Thanks for any input PLUGgers can provide.