[PLUG] Dual Boot Partitioning Suggestions Please

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Jun 6 17:26:28 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Steffens <rsteff at attbi.com> writes:

Richard> So my questions are:

Richard> 1) How many partitions and what size for each?

Tastes vary, but on a notebook I am inclined to just plop everything
in one:

  /dev/hda1 (windows crap, size as small as is comfortable)
  /dev/hda2 (swap partition, twice your memory size is a reasonable choice)
  /dev/hda3 (GNU/Linux, the rest)

Richard> 2) What order to install, i.e. Win98 first or Debian first?

I've always installed (or it was already installed) windows first.

Richard> 3) I have a broadband connection. Is it practical to do an
Richard> installation over the net, or should I download images and
Richard> burn CD's? I have a CD burner on my other RH machine.

I just did this on a new box and here's what I did.  I got a "net
install" image, around 30 meg, and burned it to a CD.  Then I can boot
off of that CD and load the necessary bootstrapping, then connected to
the debian archive and did the rest from the network.  That way, you
are only sucking down what you are actually going to use.  If you
can't boot from a CD-ROM, then you can download and copy floppy images
(the number can vary, depending on your needs)

Also, I've been switching all my machines over to grub.  I've found it
is more reliable and in a pinch I can boot off of a grub floppy and
still load kernel images off of the hard disk.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible