[PLUG] Dual Boot Partitioning Suggestions Please

Andrew Puch aapuch at attbi.com
Thu Jun 6 20:58:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 10:22, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:22:18AM -0700, quoth Richard Steffens:
> > I'm getting ready to take the Debian plunge. I have a 10GB drive for my
> > Thinkpad 390x (450 Mhz Celeron w/ 96MB RAM) on which I currently have
> > Red Hat 7.1 as installed from a set of K12LTSP CDs. I want to set up the
> > drive to dual boot Linux and Win98. My intention is to use this as a
> > learning experience. I've followed the discussions about RH vs Debian vs
> > Mandrake vs etc., and since I have successfully installed RH on 2
> > machines, I'd like to give Debian a try so I can determine for myself
> > which I like better.

Debian, I would not do for a laptop.

If you are going the debian route, I would go for the testing.

Does Debian, do journaling file system , by default ??

Aka no more fsck :)

Next drive I buy, I am going for xfs from SGI.

I can fsck the driver , while I use it .
Too cool .

I have setup my laptop, with ext3 an I am in love.

Dell 8100, pIII 1Ghz, 10 Gig

w2k: 4.5 Gb fat32  /dev/hda1
/boot  ext2        /dev/hda2
/    5.5gb ext3    /hda3
/swap              /hda4

I have open office, for w2k and linux :)
I can play quake on the box :)

I have every thing setup to just work.

Self confessed Redhat Lover.