[PLUG] Dual Boot Partitioning Suggestions Please

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jun 6 22:38:34 UTC 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Robert Kopp wrote:
> Linux requires at least a root and swap partition; all distributions I
> know set up the swap partition automatically.

Dunno whether Dick's ever installed Debian or not, but the install utility
asks if you'd like to partition a disk and if you'd like to make and
activate a swap partition.  It's "automatic" insofar as you don't need to
run mkswap yourself, but it's an optional part of the installation
procedure.

> Unless the network installation is fully automatic, it would be better
> to burn CD's. If you ever need to reinstall, the CD's would be
> advantageous.

The network installation IS, in fact, fully automatic.  I've never burned
a Debian CD and wouldn't unless I was building a computer without a
network connection at all (and what's really the point of that?).

> I've tried Win4Lin lately and like it. On a laptop, if this were an
> issue with me, I'd seriously consider installing Linux alone and then
> running Windows in a virtual console.

Well, he didn't say WHY he wanted the Windows partition.  We're probably
better off not poking our noses into Dick's business too much.  I mean, if
he was really explicit as to why he thought he needed Windows, we could
probably find a way around it entirely.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin